Monday, March 17, 2008

Tea and Thoughts

Yesterday, I went for afternoon tea and a matinee at a theater where my mother used to play. The show was a Cole Porter musical and, while his music alone is enough to make me swoon, the lyrics to one particular number plucked at my heart all evening. Hearing the delicate but forthright reminder of some things I cherish did my soul well:

I am ashamed that women are so simple
to offer war where they should kneel for peace
Or seek to rule, supremacy and sway
when they are bound to serve, love and obey.

Why are our bodies soft and weak and smooth
unapt to toil and trouble in the world
but that our soft conditions and our hearts
should well agree with our external parts?

So hold your temper, wives
and meekly put your hand beneath your lord and husband's foot
In token of which duty, if he please, my hand is ready
May it do him ease.

~ Katherine in Cole Porter's "Kiss me, Kate"

1 comment:

Elisabeth Black said...

Oh how I love you Jen. Have a great day.